[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 24 08:31:30 PDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 01:57 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 24/03/2012, Bret Busby<bret.busby at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>>> Hello.
>>>
> <snip again>

The issues you are experiencing have been common in my Linux and FreeBSD
installations since 1993.  I currently have Kubuntu installed on a Dell
Latitude D630 which has run other Debian variants as well as several of
the 'BSD' distributions, including PC-BSD.  All of them seem to have had
issues with the Intel graphics adapter and I was only able to get Debian
GNU Linux started from the 'live' dvd on this machine.  The common error
seemed to be when the operating system loads into memory, runs a script
- Xorg --configure' (or something like it) to probe the video hardware,
the system locks up and cannot continue on to a desktop.  In all cases
where I have been successful (on the Dell), I have started from the
basic install, (install a minimal system and configure from there).
Then, once you know what it takes, reinstall the dual-boot
configuration.  When you get the system up I would recommend running
Windows as a guest on VirtualBox or vice-versa.  The only detractor to
Windows performance (as a guest on VirtualBox) is how much physical ram
the machine has.

Michael