[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:57:46 PDT 2012

On 24/03/2012, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I think that it does not get to the stage of offering options.
>>
>> Where I have tried to instal it, is partition 2 (sda2) of the primary
>> partition on the single hard disk drive. That partition is a 20GB (of
>> a 160GB HDD), which I figure would be adequate.
>>
>> I think that the last thing that I saw before the display went to
>> showing only the blinking cursor on the blank screen, is a line about
>> xorg, but I will need to run it again, to check.
>>
>> I am not sure, but, from memory, I saw a message sometime ago, about
>> the initial version of PC-BSD 9 not including a driver for the
>> particular graphics adapter, or for inbuilt graphics adapters, and
>> that PC-BSD 9.0 is designed for, or, runs best on (or something like
>> that) the Nvidia graphics adapters, and not yet for Intel inbuilt
>> graphics adapters. The link for the specifications that I previously
>> posted, show the computer chipset as being Intel 855GM , with graphics
>> being
>> "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64 MB of shared system
>> memory for graphics "
>> and
>> "Graphics adapter/card  Intel 855GM".
>>
>> In checking the particular model variant identifier (for want of a
>> better name), it starts with Cnx5000U, which indicates that it has the
>> NX5000 standard graphics adaptor, as specified above.
>>
>> As to the last thing that it displays before the blank screen with the
>> flashing cursor, I will have to check that.
>>
>> --
>
> Hello.
>
> I have just run though the installation procedure as much as it will
> progress, and taken some notes in the process. I can not include all
> that was displayed - it goes too fast.
>

> It runs the CD Loader.
> It then runs the BTX Loader
> It then checks the BIOS  drives
> It then runs the Bootstrap Loader
> It then displays the Boot menu, with a delay of 10 seconds (?) (time
> guessed - too short)
>      - proceeds without waiting for input - I think this is a bug or
> design defect - I think it
>        should wait at that stage for the option to be input
> It then mounts root
> Then "sleep 10 seconds to let devices settle"
> It then displays "Found PCBSD image on CD"
> It then displays "checking integrity of uzip filesystem"
> It then displays "Detecting X setup"
> It then displays
> "
> Autoconfiguring X server ....1
> done
> "
>
> Then the screen goes blank.
>
> The power light shows that the power is still on, but no device
> lights, such as HDD or optical disc light, are lit, indicating that no
> activity appears to be occurring.
>
> Then, after ten minutes of that, I left the computer to write this.
>
> After twenty minutes since the screen had gone blank, I returned to
> the computer, and no change was visible.

And I have just returned from a walk of about an hour's duration, and
the computer has no visible change to its state.

So, it is now about two hours without visible change, since the
installation process stalled.

I make this point, because, when I installed Debian Linux 6 on the
NX5000, that installation process sat for about half an hour or so,
while displaying "Detecting network hardware", or something similar,
and it found both a wireless (Intel wireless 2100;IPW2100) adapter and
an Ethernet adapter, and, once I refused the wireless driver
installation (driver not included in official Debian 6 installation
disks, and, wireless is too problematic), the installation process
went merrily on its way, and completed, whereas the PC-BSD 9
installation seems to consistently stall at the Xserver stage.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."