[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:33:39 PDT 2012

On 23/03/2012, Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne at att.net> wrote:

<snip>

> Hi Bret,
>
> Does it always hang in the same spot? If so, where?
>
> Did you change any of the defaults during the install (e.g. custom disks)?
> Which window manager(s) and system components did you select? You're
> installing on the 20GB primary? Is it the primary or a secondary disk?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Hello.

A suggestion has just occurred to me; one of the options in the Boot
menu for the installation DVD, is something like
"4 Boot with verbose logging"
(although the boot menu does not stay there long enough to read and
make a choice, which is why I believe that it should wait for input)
and, my suggestion is this; to provide, in the installation disk, a
facility whereby, if a computer has a USB thumb drive plugged in when
the computer boots into the installation disk, as soon as possible in
the process, the USB thumb drive is detected, and the whole of the
process is logged in a text file on the USB thumb drive, with the file
opened and written to with each action logged, and saved, at the end
of each operation, so that each successful step, each warning, and,
each error, is logged, in a file that can be read after an
installation attempt, whether or not the installation attempt succeeds
or fails, so as to show where any failure occurs, and any reasons for
failure.

I think that such a provision, would greatly aid in the debugging of
installation processes.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale