[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:04:30 PDT 2012

On 23/03/2012, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> and need to

>>> no longer
>>> think it was 5)

>>> problems
>>> version, to get an

>>> use, and,
>>> interrupt
>>> card, and I
>>> installing PC-BSD 9.

>>> would be the i386

>>> hardware, apart from
>>> at
>>> x200, is for the

>>> specifications,
>>> Celeron CPU, and,
>>> graphics
>>> likely to be

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the DVD and tried to instal it, but it gets
>>> part way
>>> through the installation process and then just hangs, with a
>>> blinking
>>> cursor in the top left corner of the screen, and the screen
>>> otherwise
>>> blank, requiring a reboot and the removal of the
>>> installation disc.
>>
>> Hi Bret,
>>
>> Does it always hang in the same spot? If so, where?
>>
>> Did you change any of the defaults during the install (e.g. custom
>> disks)?
>> Which window manager(s) and system components did you select? You're
>> installing on the 20GB primary? Is it the primary or a secondary disk?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dru
>>

> Hello.
>
> I think that it does not get to the stage of offering options.
>
> Where I have tried to instal it, is partition 2 (sda2) of the primary
> partition on the single hard disk drive. That partition is a 20GB (of
> a 160GB HDD), which I figure would be adequate.
>
> I think that the last thing that I saw before the display went to
> showing only the blinking cursor on the blank screen, is a line about
> xorg, but I will need to run it again, to check.
>
> I am not sure, but, from memory, I saw a message sometime ago, about
> the initial version of PC-BSD 9 not including a driver for the
> particular graphics adapter, or for inbuilt graphics adapters, and
> that PC-BSD 9.0 is designed for, or, runs best on (or something like
> that) the Nvidia graphics adapters, and not yet for Intel inbuilt
> graphics adapters. The link for the specifications that I previously
> posted, show the computer chipset as being Intel 855GM , with graphics
> being
> "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64 MB of shared system
> memory for graphics "
> and
> "Graphics adapter/card  Intel 855GM".
>
> In checking the particular model variant identifier (for want of a
> better name), it starts with Cnx5000U, which indicates that it has the
> NX5000 standard graphics adaptor, as specified above.
>
> As to the last thing that it displays before the blank screen with the
> flashing cursor, I will have to check that.

> [...]

Hello.

I have just run though the installation procedure as much as it will
progress, and taken some notes in the process. I can not include all
that was displayed - it goes too fast.

It runs the CD Loader.
It then runs the BTX Loader
It then checks the BIOS  drives
It then runs the Bootstrap Loader
It then displays the Boot menu, with a delay of 10 seconds (?) (time
guessed - too short)
     - proceeds without waiting for input - I think this is a bug or
design defect - I think it
       should wait at that stage for the option to be input
It then mounts root
Then "sleep 10 seconds to let devices settle"
It then displays "Found PCBSD image on CD"
It then displays "checking integrity of uzip filesystem"
It then displays "Detecting X setup"
It then displays
"
Autoconfiguring X server ....1
done
"

Then the screen goes blank.

The power light shows that the power is still on, but no device
lights, such as HDD or optical disc light, are lit, indicating that no
activity appears to be occurring.

Then, after ten minutes of that, I left the computer to write this.

After twenty minutes since the screen had gone blank, I returned to
the computer, and no change was visible.

--
 Bret Busby
 Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."