[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:12:13 PDT 2012

On 23/03/2012, Dru Lavigne <dru.lavigne at att.net> wrote:

>> > I have an HP / Compaq NX5000 laptop computer.
>> >
>> > The hard drive recently failed, so I have replaced it,
>> and need to
>> > install new operating systems.
>> >
>> > I had previously had Windows XP Professional (which is
>> no longer
>> > supported), Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and Debian Linux 5 (I
>> think it was 5)
>> > installed, using GRUB for providing OS boot choice.
>> >
>> > I have tried installing Debian 6, but have run into
>> problems
>> > (including having to download and try a firmware
>> version, to get an
>> > IPW 200 or similar named driver for the network card)
>> >
>> > The laptop has that network card, WiFi (which I do not
>> use, and,
>> > which, with a previous system installation, incurred an
>> interrupt
>> > conflict that had to be overcome), an inbuilt graphics
>> card, and I
>> > have allowed a free primary partition of 20GB for
>> installing PC-BSD 9.
>> >
>> > The CPU is a Celeron, so, if I instal PC-BSD 9, it
>> would be the i386
>> > version.
>> >
>> > Specifications for the computer (indicating the
>> hardware, apart from
>> > the Hard Drive, which is now a 160GB Smasung HDD, are
>> at
>> > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11860_na/11860_na.HTML
>> > (from which I have found that the firmware driver IPW
>> x200, is for the
>> > Wireless LAN device which I never use).
>> >
>> > After all of that, the question is this; given the
>> specifications,
>> > with (a physical maximum of) 2GB of RAM, and with a
>> Celeron CPU, and,
>> > with the Ethernet NIC as in the specifications, and the
>> graphics
>> > adapter as in the specifications, would PC-BSD 9.0 be
>> likely to be
>> > able to be installed and run on it?
>> >
>> > I want to know before I download the installation DVD.
>> >
>> > Thank you in anticipation.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bret Busby
>> > Armadale
>> > West Australia
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I downloaded the DVD and tried to instal it, but it gets
>> part way
>> through the installation process and then just hangs, with a
>> blinking
>> cursor in the top left corner of the screen, and the screen
>> otherwise
>> blank, requiring a reboot and the removal of the
>> installation disc.
>
> Hi Bret,
>
> Does it always hang in the same spot? If so, where?
>
> Did you change any of the defaults during the install (e.g. custom disks)?
> Which window manager(s) and system components did you select? You're
> installing on the 20GB primary? Is it the primary or a secondary disk?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Hello.

I think that it does not get to the stage of offering options.

Where I have tried to instal it, is partition 2 (sda2) of the primary
partition on the single hard disk drive. That partition is a 20GB (of
a 160GB HDD), which I figure would be adequate.

I think that the last thing that I saw before the display went to
showing only the blinking cursor on the blank screen, is a line about
xorg, but I will need to run it again, to check.

I am not sure, but, from memory, I saw a message sometime ago, about
the initial version of PC-BSD 9 not including a driver for the
particular graphics adapter, or for inbuilt graphics adapters, and
that PC-BSD 9.0 is designed for, or, runs best on (or something like
that) the Nvidia graphics adapters, and not yet for Intel inbuilt
graphics adapters. The link for the specifications that I previously
posted, show the computer chipset as being Intel 855GM , with graphics
being
"Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64 MB of shared system
memory for graphics "
and
"Graphics adapter/card  Intel 855GM".

In checking the particular model variant identifier (for want of a
better name), it starts with Cnx5000U, which indicates that it has the
NX5000 standard graphics adaptor, as specified above.

As to the last thing that it displays before the blank screen with the
flashing cursor, I will have to check that.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."