[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:44:57 PDT 2012

On 19/03/2012, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an HP / Compaq NX5000 laptop computer.
>
> The hard drive recently failed, so I have replaced it, and need to
> install new operating systems.
>
> I had previously had Windows XP Professional (which is no longer
> supported), Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and Debian Linux 5 (I think it was 5)
> installed, using GRUB for providing OS boot choice.
>
> I have tried installing Debian 6, but have run into problems
> (including having to download and try a firmware version, to get an
> IPW 200 or similar named driver for the network card)
>
> The laptop has that network card, WiFi (which I do not use, and,
> which, with a previous system installation, incurred an interrupt
> conflict that had to be overcome), an inbuilt graphics card, and I
> have allowed a free primary partition of 20GB for installing PC-BSD 9.
>
> The CPU is a Celeron, so, if I instal PC-BSD 9, it would be the i386
> version.
>
> Specifications for the computer (indicating the hardware, apart from
> the Hard Drive, which is now a 160GB Smasung HDD, are at
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11860_na/11860_na.HTML
> (from which I have found that the firmware driver IPW x200, is for the
> Wireless LAN device which I never use).
>
> After all of that, the question is this; given the specifications,
> with (a physical maximum of) 2GB of RAM, and with a Celeron CPU, and,
> with the Ethernet NIC as in the specifications, and the graphics
> adapter as in the specifications, would PC-BSD 9.0 be likely to be
> able to be installed and run on it?
>
> I want to know before I download the installation DVD.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

Hello.

I downloaded the DVD and tried to instal it, but it gets part way
through the installation process and then just hangs, with a blinking
cursor in the top left corner of the screen, and the screen otherwise
blank, requiring a reboot and the removal of the installation disc.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."