[PC-BSD Support] Query about installing PC-BSD 9 on laptop

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:54:43 PDT 2012

Hello.

I have an HP / Compaq NX5000 laptop computer.

The hard drive recently failed, so I have replaced it, and need to
install new operating systems.

I had previously had Windows XP Professional (which is no longer
supported), Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and Debian Linux 5 (I think it was 5)
installed, using GRUB for providing OS boot choice.

I have tried installing Debian 6, but have run into problems
(including having to download and try a firmware version, to get an
IPW 200 or similar named driver for the network card)

The laptop has that network card, WiFi (which I do not use, and,
which, with a previous system installation, incurred an interrupt
conflict that had to be overcome), an inbuilt graphics card, and I
have allowed a free primary partition of 20GB for installing PC-BSD 9.

The CPU is a Celeron, so, if I instal PC-BSD 9, it would be the i386 version.

Specifications for the computer (indicating the hardware, apart from
the Hard Drive, which is now a 160GB Smasung HDD, are at
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11860_na/11860_na.HTML
(from which I have found that the firmware driver IPW x200, is for the
Wireless LAN device which I never use).

After all of that, the question is this; given the specifications,
with (a physical maximum of) 2GB of RAM, and with a Celeron CPU, and,
with the Ethernet NIC as in the specifications, and the graphics
adapter as in the specifications, would PC-BSD 9.0 be likely to be
able to be installed and run on it?

I want to know before I download the installation DVD.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale