[PC-BSD Support] Query about dual and multiple booting of PC-BSD

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 00:47:47 PST 2012

Hello.

Is PC-BSD 9.1 intended to include being able to be automatically
detected by bootloaders that come with Linux, such as GRUB, as Linux
installations are automatically detected by GRUB?

As an example, on this computer, I have Windows 7 Professional, Ubuntu
Linux, and Debian Linux 6, installed, and, the installation of GRUB,
in the last installation of Linux, detects and offers as boot options,
the operating systems previously installed. It does that
automatically.

I would use PC-BSD 9.0 but have not been able to get it detected by GRUB.

I have Windows 7  and Debian Linux, installed on various systems, and
have PC-BSD 9.0 installed on a 32 bit system, to try it, but, as I
could not get it to work with GRUB, have not tried to install PC-BSD
9.0 on a 64 bit system, as PC-BSD 9.0 has so far, been too problematic
for me.

I have not been aware thus far, of either PC-BSD 9.0 or 9.1, being
able to be automatically detected by GRUB, and, if PC-BSD 9.0 would be
automatically detected by GRUB, I would have been trialling, and,
probably, using, it.

If it is not already intended, I suggest that it would be conducive to
expansion of the installation and use of PC-BSD.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."