[PC-BSD Support] JRE diablo on PCBSD9

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:59:14 PDT 2012

hi!

the AppCafe has OpenJDK, and based on a forum thread (here:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=15493), the OpenJDK PBI should be
sufficient for java-in-browsers.  ...if that's not enough then you'll need
to build from ports. apologies in advance if you're already familiar with
these procedures!

1) read up on the Ports Jail in PC-BSD (here:
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Ports_Jail) -- you'll want to do this, at
least at first, to keep your building separate from the base system. also,
there's a fantastic YouTube intro to the Ports Jail here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NlAW1B1W-E.

2) check out the FreeBSD Handbook for more information on using the Ports
system, found here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

3) the commands are pretty simple, so the only complicated parts are going
to be a) the (potentially) slow build-time and b) making sure that you
download all of the correct files (and agree to the licensing stuff). all
of the necessary info is provided as you build, too.

HOWEVER :), try the OpenJDK PBI first -- it's So Much Simpler.
HTH!
Cheers!