[PC-BSD Support] Why two /tmp dirs in Free/PC-BSD ?

usmbish at aol.com usmbish at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 18:46:35 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:17:55 +0530, Andy Pintar <andy at hapoteh.net> wrote:

> It's explained here: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.15.html
>
> Basically, /tmp is (typically) cleared at boot time, whereas
> /var/tmp might/ought not.
>
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, USM Bish wrote:
>>
>> Looks like a newbie question. Sorry for looking naive ;-)
>>
>> Why are there two /tmp dirs in Free/PC-BSD ?
>>
>> Besides /tmp there is also a /var/tmp

[ rest snipped ]

Thanks Andy. This does sound logical.

My intention of removing /var/tmp was to avoid two directories
with 1777  permissions, which  have security  connotations. So
far I have  noticed nothing critical/ persistant  in the stuff
at /var/tmp (just KDE entries like dbus and orbit, which would
be re-initialised if absent).

I just noticed that in FreeBSD /tmp is a seperate slice itself
in /usr/jail/.., and is being mounted at boot time through the
/etc/rc.d/tmp script. Security  wise that is good.  But by the
time KDM  loads at the  end of the  boot up process,  /tmp has
already been created, and a symlink of /var/tmp to /tmp should
work ... but for some reason it didn't.

Not that the matter is critical. Only of academic interest.

Bish