[PC-BSD Support] Resetting display resolution - PC-BSD 8.0

usmbish at aol.com usmbish at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 22:09:02 PST 2010

I have recently  done a fresh install of PC-BSD  on a new Dell
Zino  mini desktop,  set in  a triple  boot mode  with Win-XP,
Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), and PC-BSD 8.0.

During the first  run, when prompted for  monitor resolution I
had  set it  to 1440x900  and things  seemed to  run smoothly.
Thereafter  on my  first  reboot,  the /etc/X11/xorg.conf  got
automatically  rewritten, and  I  am getting  a resolution  of
1024x768 only with depth of 16  bit, which makes the fonts and
program windows a bit chunky on my 17" monitor.

I tried to manually set xorg.conf to 1440x900 and 32 bit depth
(as used with  the other two OSs), but during  reboot, a fresh
xorg.conf is being written. The video driver used by PC-BSD is
"vesa", 1024x768 with depth of 16.

I went through the KDE Menu:

System ->Display and the only options I get there is
1024x768 with a refresh of "auto"

Is there any way I can increase the desktop resolution ?

Thanks,

Bish