[PC-BSD Support] Data-swapping with Windows

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Feb 25 02:57:45 PST 2010

Markus Hitter schrieb:

>> Truecrypt under FreeBSD (or PC-BSD) would be a *real* improvement,
>> because it would also allow the exchange of encrypted data with Linux
>> and MacOSX.
>
> If encrypted file exchange is your goal, turn on sshd. Mac OS X and
> Ubuntu support SSH file systems, didn't check BSDs and the newer
> versions of MS Windows yet. Works like a charme: set it up once (URL,
> password) and you might forget it's actually a remote share.

Not with the bandwidth that's standard in Germany (max 1MBit/s Upstream,
usually less). I might be ok for sending around small stuff (BTW. we are
already using a similar concept for small amounts of data), but if you
are transfering 10 photos as raw-data, it's not much fun at all. If
architectural plans come along with them, transfering them is a real
bore. Why do you think I bother with an external drive? :-P

> Sorry for mentioning competitors ;-)

I don't think that is a problem somehow. ;-) Learning for others is a
good idea. Ignoring other's good sides isn't.

Regards,
Chris

--
Ich kam.