[PC-BSD Support] make buildworld and installworld

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Feb 25 02:33:54 PST 2010

Kris Moore schrieb:

> Well, if you go the manual route, I would personally not apply any
> binary PC-BSD updates. When we roll and update we assume the base system
> is still in "sync" with the version of PC-BSD it was deployed with. We
> may include binaries / patches which don't act correct on customized
> world environments :P

If I understand you correctly, this boils down to standard FreeBSD once
I started updating manually.

It might be an idea for a future project, to allow binary updates for
just one or two of the pillars while allowing manual Updates to the base
system. In some cases this might be unavoidable anyway if someone has to
compile a certain module into the kernel.

>> I tried to update via sources once from one major release to the next.
>> It's the stuff that suicides are made of. :-)
>
> Amen!

I seldom found someone who really wanted to agree with me on that. But
ok, at least that project isn't one that I am just too dumb to manage. ;-)

Gruß
Christian

--
Ich kam.