[PC-BSD Support] make buildworld and installworld

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 23 08:30:18 PST 2010

On 02/23/2010 10:58, Christian Baer wrote:
> Kris Moore schrieb:
>
>> Well, it depends upon your comfort level with BSD. If you are
>> experienced, then sure, this way is the way to go. You'll not need to
>> worry about applying any PC-BSD binary updates if you track -Stable and
>> such, since you'll be getting those directly from the FreeBSD tree.
>
> I meant that I could get into trouble because the versions no longer
> look right to the update mechanism of PC-BSD. When updating the world,
> you don't update X and/or KDE. That has to be done seperately. And
> updating them via the sources isn't much fun - even on a relatively fast
> machine.
>
> Basicly you'd be updating the base system (kernel, userland, MTA etc.)
> with the sources, but you'd still want to update everything else with
> the binaries. I was just wondering if there isn't a chance of running
> into trouble because of these two methods.

Well, if you go the manual route, I would personally not apply any
binary PC-BSD updates. When we roll and update we assume the base system
is still in "sync" with the version of PC-BSD it was deployed with. We
may include binaries / patches which don't act correct on customized
world environments :P

>> However, if you want to move to 8.0, I'd highly recommend just
>> installing PC-BSD 8.0, since doing a manual update from 7.x ->  8.0 can
>> be a HUGE pain, and require to to rebuild all of your ports, which in
>> effect means you'll be running on regular FreeBSD now :P
>
> I tried to update via sources once from one major release to the next.
> It's the stuff that suicides are made of. :-)

Amen!