[PC-BSD Support] make buildworld and installworld

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 23 07:44:23 PST 2010

On 02/23/2010 10:02, Christian Baer wrote:
> Kris Moore schrieb:
>> Those steps look good :)
> Is it actually a good idea to update the base system this way? Won't
> that cause problems when the security updates that come with PC-BSD (in
> binary form) fly in?
> I'm not really sure I'd want to track the -STABLE anyways as it is a bit
> of a moving target.
> Gruß
> Christian

Well, it depends upon your comfort level with BSD. If you are
experienced, then sure, this way is the way to go. You'll not need to
worry about applying any PC-BSD binary updates if you track -Stable and
such, since you'll be getting those directly from the FreeBSD tree.

However, if you want to move to 8.0, I'd highly recommend just
installing PC-BSD 8.0, since doing a manual update from 7.x -> 8.0 can
be a HUGE pain, and require to to rebuild all of your ports, which in
effect means you'll be running on regular FreeBSD now :P