[PC-BSD Support] More screen resolutions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 8 07:55:58 PST 2010

On 02/06/2010 11:11, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> first, I'm new to PC-BSD but have some FreeBSD (command line), Mac OS
> X and GNOME-Ubuntu experience.
>
> Shortly after installation I was asked to set my preferred screen
> resolution, which offered me a long list, including the correct
> 1152x864. However, this setting was ignored, the screen is now at
> 1024x768. KDE's screen resolution list is a lot shorter, maxing out
> at 1024x768.
>
>   From previous experience I've learned there's some protocol between
> the graphics card and the monitor and my monitor is a bit
> conservative and reports a maximum resolution of 1024x768. However,
> one can add additional resolutions with xrandr[1]:
>
> xrandr --newmode "1152x864 LG" 108.00  1152 1216 1344 1600  864 865
> 868 900 +hsync +vsync
> xrandr --addmode VGA "1152x864 LG"
>
> These commands succeed and the new resolution shows up in the KDE
> system preferences panel. Too bad, selecting the new resolution has
> no effect at all, the selection menu just hops back.
>
> So my question is: How would I make the system preferences panel to
> actually accept this resolution and/or how would I make KDE to not
> fiddle with monitor resolutions at all, accepting what I've choosen
> at install time?
>

> Thanks,
> Markus
>

> [1] For the records: to find out these numbers, use a small app
> "PowerStrip" under Windows XP.

While I'm not sure how to "trick" kde into taking a new resolution, you
should be able to set anything you want at install time and KDE will
leave it alone when it loads. When you reboot and hit option "7" for
display setup wizard, and change to your 1152x864 resolution does it
switch properly when you click "apply" If it doesn't, try going back to
the display wizard, and clicking the "advanced" tab, if you enable the
horz / vert refresh rate values often that'll force xorg into using what
res you selected.