[PC-BSD Support] More screen resolutions

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sat Feb 6 08:11:26 PST 2010

Hello all,

first, I'm new to PC-BSD but have some FreeBSD (command line), Mac OS
X and GNOME-Ubuntu experience.

Shortly after installation I was asked to set my preferred screen
resolution, which offered me a long list, including the correct
1152x864. However, this setting was ignored, the screen is now at
1024x768. KDE's screen resolution list is a lot shorter, maxing out
at 1024x768.

 From previous experience I've learned there's some protocol between
the graphics card and the monitor and my monitor is a bit
conservative and reports a maximum resolution of 1024x768. However,
one can add additional resolutions with xrandr[1]:

xrandr --newmode "1152x864 LG" 108.00  1152 1216 1344 1600  864 865
868 900 +hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA "1152x864 LG"

These commands succeed and the new resolution shows up in the KDE
system preferences panel. Too bad, selecting the new resolution has
no effect at all, the selection menu just hops back.

So my question is: How would I make the system preferences panel to
actually accept this resolution and/or how would I make KDE to not
fiddle with monitor resolutions at all, accepting what I've choosen
at install time?

Thanks,
Markus

[1] For the records: to find out these numbers, use a small app
"PowerStrip" under Windows XP.

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/