[PC-BSD Support] automake, Canon software, etc

Rob Hurle rob1940 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:51:14 PDT 2010

Dear Helpers,

  I'm trying to install support for a Canon LBP 7200Cdn printer
(colour laser printer, duplex, networking - good value).  Canon have
their own page description language (CAPT) but provide software to
integrate with CUPS so that the printer can be used (converts from
postscript to CAPT, I think).  The software is provided in .deb and
.rpm formats and I'm not sure if these can be installed in PCBSD as
packages.  Canon also supplies the source, complete with makefiles.
And this is where the problem lies:

1.  The software uses "automake" and "autoconf", well-known building
tools.  However, on PCBSD these two are not in the standard path,
instead they reside in /Programs/K3B/bin.  Why is is this?  I can put
this into my path and then access them to do the build, but I'd like
to know what I am doing.  Why aren't they in /usr/local/bin or
somewhere like that?  Is there any harm in using /usr/ports/devel to
make autoconf and automake and have them installed in a more standard
place?

2.  The supplied version of automake has a problem:

pcbsd [9:46] ~>which automake
/Programs/K3B/bin/automake
pcbsd [9:47] ~>automake --version
Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/Programs/K3B/share/automake-1.10 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/BSDPAN
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1 .) at /Programs/K3B/bin/automake-1.10 line
48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Programs/K3B/bin/automake-1.10 line 48.

Should I use the ports system to put in new versions of autoconf and automake?

My system is:

pcbsd [9:47] ~>uname -a
FreeBSD pcbsd 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #4: Thu Jan  7
09:20:42 PST 2010
root at build8x32.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build80/fbsd-source/8.0-src/sys/PCBSD
 i386

Thanks for the help.