[PC-BSD Support] weird problem with PC-BSD

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 06:47:33 PDT 2009

I did get the Nvidia card working, but only under FreeBSD.
And I tried several configurations, including VESA and VGA, both 16-bit and
also 24-bit.  Nothing.

I will send you the information necessary to configure the video card, it
was some trouble!!  I didn't solve the problem myself;  Other's did it for
me.

I had to set hal and dbus, and also to change a couple of defaults wrt the
mouse, but X is working just fine now.

EXCEPT, I really like PC-BSD  and would like to be able to use it when I
don't need a high level of security.

I burned the disks for a friend, and I see him use it, but I can't!!  (And
am I steamed, too.)  I see his screen when we work and you guys have done
excellent work.

So here is the information needed to make X work with FBSD7.2 on a Presario
CQ-60 using the 8200M G video card from Nvidia.

I didn't write what follows...
=============================
Moving this discussion to freebsd-x11.

I have a Presario CQ60 with the NVIDIA 8200M G, and X is working!

Here are the steps to get there.  Do everything as root:

1) Update your ports to the most recent.  Follow the FreeBSD manual, section
4.5 Using the Ports Collection, nuke the contents of /usr/ports, and install
a new base using portsnap or cvsup.

2) Install the nvidia-driver.
# cd /usr/ports/x11-driver/nvidia-driver
# make install clean  (I built with options FREEBSD_AGP checked, ACPI
checked, LINUX unchecked).

3) You can install 2 more optional tools for configuring the nvidia card
settings.  I have not used them, but I installed them.
# cd /usr/ports/x11-driver/nvidia-settings
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11-driver/nvidia-xconfig
# make install clean

4) I also installed the fbdev driver from X.Org.
# cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
# make install clean

5) Add the nvidia driver as a dynamically loaded kernel module.
# cd /boot
# vi loader.conf  (you better know how to use vi to edit)
--- add the line nvidia_load="YES"
--- it is the only line I have in my loader.conf file

6) Reboot the system
# reboot

7) If you want to see the version you just installed (your versions may be
newer than mine below)...
# pkg_info | grep nvidia
nvidia-driver-185.18.29
nvidia-settings-190.32
nvidia-xconfig-190.32
# pkg_info | grep fbdev
xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.0_2

8) Generate your xorg.conf.new file.
# cd /root
# Xorg -configure

9) Edit the xorg.conf.new file.
# vi xorg.conf.new
--- change the line    Driver "nv"
           to read    Driver "nvidia"

10) Test the config file.
# Xorg -config xorg.conf -retro
--- you should get a grey screen and your mouse should work, especially if
your mouse worked when installing FreeBSD
--- to kill the test, press CTRL-ALT-BKSP

11) If everything worked, move and rename (drop the new extension) the
config file to the /etc directory
# mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

12) Test again.  Log in as another user belonging to the wheel group (or
login as root).
% startx
--- you should get 3 green windows
--- you can kill X by clicking on the large window on the left, and typing
exit