[PC-BSD Support] Wireless problem in PCBSD 7.1.1

Andrey Kolesnikov kolandro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 04:50:35 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've started enjoying PCBSD recently.
I have small experience with FreeBSD as well.

Previously I managed to successfully configure my wireless D-Link DWA-110 on
FreeBSD as described in FreeBSD Handbook.
It was OK, but the interface went down from time to time. I just unplugged
the adapter form the usb port, plugged in again and proceeded.
It was not convenient, but I had access to Internet.
There is no single problem in Windows XP as well.

I installed PCBSD in Desktop mode.
Unfortunately PCBSD doesn't pick up the wireless adapter the way it does for
wired NICs, so I configured it manually as described in FreeBSD Handbook.
These are:
1. /boot/loader.conf
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
2. /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
  ssid="my ssid"
  psk="my psk"
}
3. /etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_rum0="WPA DHCP"

The problem is that association with wireless router is lost repeatedly. It
is offline 95% time actually.
The adapter got IP configuration from the router once, but it was unable to
ping anything but itself. Not even the gateway.
It came to my mind that it can possibly be some misconfigs to default
firewall (or ipfilter it is called in PCBSD I guess).
It appeared to me that configuring firewall in PCBSD is different from
FreeBSD.

Please, advise on the firewall configuration (config files, which, where,
etc), as well as wireless configuration in total.
Other ideas are very much appreciated!

Thanks!