[PC-BSD Support] Why doesn't audio CD show up in Dolphin?

Dale Cornibe dcornibe at gmail.com
Fri May 15 06:04:55 PDT 2009

I can't get audio CD's to play in PC-BSD 7.1 (Galileo).  No icon even shows
up in Dolphin or the "Computer" section of the launcher.  Is there a fix for
this?  Also, I downloaded the Codecs PBI according to the Quick Start
Guide.  Double-clicked it, entered my password, and nothing happened.  Well,
at least no user feedback anyway.  I opened Xine and was able to get to the
motion menu of one of my DVD's.  However, I could not play movie, go to
chapter selection, nothing.  I tried to close out of the program, nothing.
(I thought this kind of thing was supposed to happen only in Windows!!!)  I
finally had to turn the computer's power switch off.  What's the equivalent
of Windows' Ctrl-Alt-Delete for such crashes?  Why am I getting such crashes
in a supposedly flawless OS?  Could it be my hardware?  According to the
Quick Start Guide again, I certainly meet the requirements (although I use
an ATI video card, maybe that's it):

Dell Dimension 4400 Desktop, with:

Pentium 4 2.00 GHz
Crucial DDR266 640MB RAM
Western Digital 160GB IDE Hard Drive
ATI Rage 128 AGP (not sure if 2X or 4X) 16MB Video Card
Integrated Audio (whatever Dell Dimension 4400 included - you can find all
the specs of everything on Dell's website)

In any case, when I'm not getting crashes (I also get them practically every
time I use VLC Player), the system is running pretty sluggishly.

I know I have a lot of questions/issues, but I'm having a lot of problems
and am just trying to get functional here.  I really want to love PC-BSD and
sing its praises.

Dale