[PC-BSD Support] Open Sound Issue or OS issue ?

USM Bish usmbish at aol.com
Tue Mar 17 09:17:01 PST 2009

Like many  have posted before,  the issue again is  related to
sound on my  laptop. But then, I am not  being able to fathom,
as to  whether it  is an  oss issue or  is it  to do  with the
kernel.  This  mail is  a  bit  long,  but to  shorten  things
(somewhat), I have placed three text outputs from my system as
attachments for diagnostic purposes.

I have  a Dell  Inspiron 1520,  which I am  using for  over 16
months now, (the hardware components from pciconf output of my
system  attached). Mine would be one  of  the best  boxes  for
comparisons because I have  four OSs concurrently running from
native partitions (not  on vmware), on the same  box. They are
Win-XP, SuSE-11, OpenSolaris 2008.5 and PC-BSD 7.0.1.

Yes,  the   hardware  is  definitely  Win-friendly,   and  all
hardware, specially  sound is not supported  by available open
source drivers for  the *nices. For SuSE,  sound is functional
under ALSA, though microphone could not be made to work.

My  surprise  is under  OpenSolaris  and  PC-BSD. I  am  using
exactly the  same OSS  driver for  both OSs  on the  same box.
(Debug  info  for both  OSs  attached).  Whereas I  get  sound
perfectly (no microphone though) on OpenSolaris, for PC-BSD it
is still a silent box.

My question  is, if  the same OSS  driver (version  and build)
works under  one OS,  why should  not it  work for  another on
exactly the same box ?

Bish

PS : I am not sure if attachments are permitted on this list.
If not, I will post them inline in a follow-up mail.