[PC-BSD Support] East Asian Character Sets

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:17:03 PDT 2009

Greetings,

Before I get into this issue, I'll state that I've only been using PC-BSD
since yesterday. I've had a few issues that I'll be spamming to this list as
it's got a low noise ratio and seems to get dev attention. If any of them
should be posted elsewhere, please point me in the right direction. ;)

Qt4 codecs for characters sets such as Shift-JIS and EUC-JP don't seem
to be installed with the base system. This of course means that
Konqueror, KMail, etc can't correctly display content in those character
sets. As far as Japanese is concerned, this is a big problem as the
standard character set for email is ISO-2022-JP.

The relevant ports are:

chinese/qt4-codecs-cn
chinese/qt4-codecs-tw
japanese/qt4-codecs-jp
korean/qt4-codecs-kr

A web page showing the problematic behaviour is:

http://phobos.spaceports.com/~kigokoro/sjis.htm

--
Jason Stubbs