[PC-BSD Support] pcbsd on Dell inspiron 6400

Jeroen Hofstee pcbsd.support at virtualhost.nl
Sun Apr 26 15:08:18 PDT 2009

I installed PC-BSD 7.1 on a Dell laptop and encountered some issues:
Points below are mostly just informational.

During install the unallocated space is not presented as an option. This
would be nice / and / or a shell where this can be done.
Rest of the setup went fine. Booting went fine, the cpu usage is high
however; just idling is already 10-20%. (mostly System)

The laptop has a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card, so I did the
ndis stuff. The PC-BSD WifiConfig tool does however not list the
available networks.
ifconfig ndis0 scan list does however. Just entering the information
does work however. ( the led doesn't light up as well, but is probably a
ndis / FreeBSD thing)
Having the install tool do the ndis stuff would be really nice ;)

The Microsoft fonts from the site, http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/83,
don't install on this laptop, it mentions corrupt package or something
similiar.

System -> Network Settings -> Network Settings complains about missing
xml and crashes in administrator mode.

Jeroen