[PC-BSD Support] Bug inside the installation process, FDISK related.

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Oct 27 06:51:49 PST 2008

Sdävtaker wrote:
> Hello,
> Please forgive my precary english, it is not my main language.
> I was trying the fibonacci yesterday and i found a little bug in the
> installation program.
> I installed it in 2 different machines, one selected to install full
> HD with PCBSD. It successed installation.
> After that i tried to install it in one PC with MSWV, (here starts the problems)
> I got a 465GB SATA2 HD in that one, i reduced the WV slice to 365GB
> and left empty 100GB for PCBSD at HD end.
> Started installation, selected all default options, and when copying
> the files it says all files failed to been writen and at 56%
> installation proposes to reboot after fail the installation.
> After retry a few times, validate de image and the files I created the
> secondary slice /dev/ad0s2 in WV and installed PCBSD in that secondary
> slice created by WV and it success the installation, I think the FDISK
> used in PCBSD is not capable of understand big disks (half tera).
> Hope the report helps.
> See ya.
> Sdav

Did you install this with Version 7.0 or Version 7.0.1 ISO's? We fixed a
problem recently with partition / slice sizing in 7.0.1 which may help
in this issue. If you are on 7.0.1 already, can you do this so we can
see whats wrong?

1. Start the install like you did:
2. Right-click on the background, and bring up "xterm" during the install
3. Run "df -h" to see how much space is showing up on the /mnt mount
4. Run fdisk /dev/ad0 and send us the output so we can see how it
partitioned your disk.

Thanks!