[PC-BSD Support] Problem running an update

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Oct 27 06:49:02 PST 2008

Arthur Barlow wrote:
> I'm new to PCBSD, but I have used FreeBSD for a few years.  When I
> initially installed the new Fibonacci series I decided to use disk
> slices as this is what I was used to with FreeBSD.  However, on the
> latest system update I get a message that says I do not have enough
> space to install update.  Originally, I made the root slice only 500M
> as that had always served me well before.  My /usr slice is 30G and
> my /var is 3G.  Any suggestions as to whether the install can use a
> different slice than the root directory?
>
> !DSPAM:1,4903a55264181611328474!

Arthur,

For now go ahead and grab the stand-alone PBI update to 7.0.1:

http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/154/system_update

This one will use the /usr partition for its tmp data. I'm going to
start working on a new enhancement to the system updater this week,
which will allow you to specific an alternative TMPDIR in case the root
partition doesn't have enough room for a particular patch.