[PC-BSD Support] lost data trouble

t-u-t marshc187 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 04:11:05 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> t-u-t wrote:
>
>> hi, i have a big and weird problem on 7.0.1 i386.
>> i have 2 hard disks, one for pcbsd, and one new one for XP, split into 2
>> ntfs partitions - one for windows and one to store
>> all my files - music, videos, pics, etc ( so i don't lose them if i need
>> reformat windows.
>>
>> all of my files where still on my UFS volume where bsd is and i was moving
>> them to the 2nd ntfs partition (from terminal).
>>
>> when i finished all files, i checked they were all there, on the right
>> disk
>> and even watched a couple of video files and
>> unrar-ed an archive;  but when i rebooted into windows i couldn't see any
>> files ( hidden or not). i rebooted back into
>> pcbsd and still i can't see any files.
>>
>> the disk is still showing as 46% full with about 50gb used from about
>> 119gb
>> from both windows and pcbsd, but still i can;t
>> see any files.
>>
>> any clues?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> That is rather strange. If you copied and then played them from the NTFS
> partition, they should have been there. Maybe ntfs-3g is borked somehow?
>
> Did they have some special chars in them?
>
> http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#locale3
>
> if you mean in the file names, i don't think so. just regular english
characters and numbers + extension. there might have been the odd file, but
not the majority.anyway, i wiped the disk now after scanning the drive with
some recovery apps from windows, and managed to recover some pictures and a
couple of videos, (which could have been deleted files already on the disk -
don't know).
i just put it down to lives and learns
--
ce la vie