[PC-BSD Support] PCBSD 1.5.1 kernel panic

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri May 23 06:26:40 PDT 2008

Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> Hello Support,
>
> I have a new computer built with a foxcon motherboard
> see a FreeBSD 6.3 Stable (as of 5-13-2008) dmesg here
> http://www.puffybsd.com/pcbsd/6.3.txt
>
> when I try to install PCBSD 1.5.1 I get a kernel panic when usbd loads see a
> Digital camera pic here
> http://www.puffybsd.com/pcbsd/00005.jpg
>
> I noticed that FreeBSD 6.3 Stable fresh install panics as well. if I boot
> into single user mode and disable usbd
> it boots fine, I csup'd the latest source tree for 6.3 and re enabled usbd
> and  everything works.
>
> so my question is, how do I roll a updated  install CD set , as I have  just
> built 4 of these computers
> all needing PC-BSD / Wine. is there a step by step HOW-TO, somewhere that in
> the end will produce iso files
> that I can burn to a CD.
>

> Thank you for your help
>
> Sam Fourman Jr.

Sam,

I don't have a way at the moment for you to roll your own ISO / set of
PC-BSD. However can you boot the install CD into single user mode also,
then disable usbd in rc.conf, and continue booting to the installer?
That may help you get around this crash, and at least get the system
installed. Once the system is up, then you can patch / re-roll the
kernel any way you need.