[PC-BSD Support] Fwd: Re: SMP in PC-BSD 1.5

Andreas Betschart andreas at ultra7.ch
Thu Mar 20 14:13:56 PST 2008

Kris,

Thanks for the quick answer! Wow, you are fast!

I was playing music in Amarok and as I told you, the sound was very choppy. I
tried to figure out what caused this. I installed Gkrellm but it didn't show
anything special. Only when it was really bad there was a spike in the
harddrive monitor, but not always. I opend a console and looked at the output
of top, but nothing suspicious showed up. Then I tried the scientific
approach. I closed all programs, opened Kaffeine and played some music. Well,
the choppines was immediately gone. I tried Amarok again --- perfect sound. I
reopend all the programs, nothing. I can't make the sound choppy anymore...

I just installed the SMP Hotfix and now I can see all four CPUs in systat and
dmesg. Fantastic!

Thanks a lot.

Andreas