[PC-BSD Support] Superuser password lost

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Mar 12 09:09:14 PST 2008

Normally you can't just "look-up" the password, however you can reset it
if you like. To reset, use this procedure:

1. Boot the system
2. At the splash loader screen, choose option "4" single user mode
3. When it drops you to a boot prompt, hit enter, then type in:
    # mount -o rw /
4. Next enter the password change command:
    # passwd
5. Change your password, and then type:
    # exit

That should be it!