[PC-BSD Support] Root password issue

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Feb 29 10:05:06 PST 2008

Vincent,

Changing the root password is pretty easy. Simply do this:

At the boot loader screen, choose option 4 for single user mode.

Next when you get dropped to the shell prompt, type in:
# mount -o rw /
# passwd

You should be able to change the PW at that point, type "exit" when you
are finished, to continue booting like normal.

As for video, what type of video card are you using? After you boot for
the first time, the Xorg setup wizard should appear. If you choose
1024x768 and click apply, does it work? Also, you may need to go to the
advanced tab, and enter your own horz / vert refresh rates, if X isn't
detecting them properly.