[PC-BSD Support] ndis not working with bcmw5l_sys.ko

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Aug 8 06:19:37 PDT 2008

Linux wrote:
> Kris
>  I managed to get the ndis to connect.
> Apparently, I mistyped my ssid. ALthough it will periodically drop the signal on either or the two WiFi routers.
> This leads to another problem. The ndis is set to DHCP and so when you choose to Configure NDIS you can SCAN the for WIFI networks in the area. Nothing ever shows up although there are three within the area CLOSE.
> So, as the scanning features is not working I must type in the ndis configure the ssid which I am near to reconnect. Don't we have a utility that can see Wifi Networks like KwifiManager or WireLessManager or Knetworkmanager or anything.
>  Isn' t there a method to use a GUI and check FreeBSD ports for such utilities?
>
> Thanks..getting there One Step at a Time.
>
> Bob

Bob,

The wifi tool in PC-BSD is capable of scanning just fine, however most
of the ndisgen drivers do not scan properly from what I've seen. It only
usually works with native drivers, which are built in. You can test this
by running this command:

ifconfig <device> list scan

Does it return any found SSIDs or wifi networks?

Also, have you tried our 7.0 alpha yet? Its based on FreeBSD 7, and
includes more WiFi drivers, possibly even the one for your card.