[PC-BSD Support] ndis not working with bcmw5l_sys.ko

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Aug 4 12:45:51 PDT 2008

Linux wrote:
> Kris
>  ..this is long so Thanks in Advance for your response.
> using ndisgen and my bcmwl5.inf and sys files I produced a bcmwl5_sys.ko which worked great with PCBSD 1.3 and 1.4 for my Dell truemobile wifi.
> ndis and if_ndis and the bcmwl5_sys.ko are not working with PCBSD 1.51.
> The card scans No Wifif Networks and I have several.
>  I tried the old bcmwl5_sys and a new one generated with ndisgen on PCBSD 1.51 both are recognized by the system and the network manager but No Signal. The wired card works fine but this laptop without a wireless is useless to me.
> Below are  listings of  /boot/loader.conf  ..ifconfig..kldstat..dmesg
>  ....The bfe0 is Broken 2yrs..the dc0 is my working Wired Cat5 a PCMCIA Netgear NIC..
> I am also sending a link to a screen shot.
> http://usera.imagecave.com/sqlpython/sqlpython_PCbsd1.5.png
>
> pcbsd# cat /boot/loader.conf
> linux_load="YES"
> ulpt_load="YES"
> #vesa_load="YES"
> #splash_pcx_load="YES"
> #bitmap_load="YES"
> #bitmap_name="/boot/loading-screen.pcx"
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
> autoboot_delay="5"
> kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
> kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
> ndis_load="YES"
> if_ndis_load="YES"
> BCMWL5_SYS_load="YES"

Well, you do have the driver loaded properly, otherwise you wouldn't
even get this far, and have it show up at all as ndis0. PC-BSD 1.5.1 is
based on FreeBSD 6-Stable or FreeBSD 6.3 in this case. Maybe something
has been broken in the BSD with the update?

Do you know specifically which model Wifi card this is? Its possible
that we have native support now, since many new cards have been added in
7.x.