[PC-BSD Support] Xorg 3d Ati Card

Terry Sposato tezza at sucked-in.com
Sun Nov 25 14:16:47 PST 2007

Hi,

I recently installed PC-BSD 1.4.1 and cannot enable 3d functionality in
Xorg. Even when I tried to boot into normal X after the installation
occured it would not work. I had to boot into single user mode, and add
the following to boot up normally or else my system hung and would only
respond to a hard power reset.

Option     "NoAccel"    "True"

Now the same thing has happened on a couple of other distro's and I am
pretty sure it is my laptop. It is an Asus M6R with an ATI Mobility
Radeon 9100IGP video card. The problem I am encounting is that whenever
I play movies etc. I get mini screen freezes every second or so and it
is really annoying. I did not get this problem in Ubuntu for instance. I
have tried using the ati-3d-enable option in the Xorg setup and my
system hangs as well so I am not sure what to do.

Anyone experienced this problem before?

Cheers,

Terry