[PC-BSD Support] 1.4.1. and still can't play dvd movies.

Terry Poulin bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:21:52 PST 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:40:19 +0000
> From: the kneeling fool <kneel.pardoe at virgin.net>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Support] 1.4.1. and still can't play dvd movies.
> To: support at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> Today I downloaded and installed 1.4.1.
>
> After an initial problem of not installing, the second
> attempt to install was successful. I have installed the
> codecs pbi, realplayer 10 pbi. Then with Kaffeine, I tried
> to play an original dvd movie (U Turn, a great yarn), well
> it would be if I could get it to play on a bsd platform.
> The error message after playing a bit of 'intro' was
>
> "the source seems encrypted and cant be read.
>
> Your DVD is probably crypted. According to your country laws
> you can or can't use libdvdcss to be able to read this
> disk.  (Media stream scrambled/encrypted)"
>
> so I tried a ripped dvd movie. this time the error message
> was "The source can't be read.
>
> Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source
> doesn't contain data (e.g. no disc in drive). (Error
> reading from DVD)"
>
> This second message is the one I'm used to seeing.
>
> So I tried an unencrypted dvd movie (recorded from broadcast
> onto a +R DVD), it plays without a problem.
>
> So I looked at the (xine) engine configuration in Kaffeine
> for the path to the codecs and realplayer but both are ok
> AFAICT, i.e. if there is nothing going on 'behind the
> scenes' with Xine and paths.
>
> So can anyone help save me from Linux? ;)
>
> What can I do to resolve this problem.

My system is set up to play most every thing I've tried to play short of
flash. Still Kaffeine failed to read one of my DVD's yesterday (Spaceballs)
siting a problem reading the source off the DVD-ROM. Try playing it with
kmplayer, worked for me ;-)

However YMMV

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com