[PC-BSD Support] WIRELESS PCI CARD

Nicholas Lysaght nicholasrf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:13:09 PDT 2007

Hi All.

I have just loaded PC-BSD for the first time, and I like it. I have loaded
it on two computers, the first (where this is coming from) is ADSL wired to
the Internet through a Realtek 8139 NIC.

The second is connected to the Net via a D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless Card. This
is the one I'm interested in (for now). I did some searching on the FreeBSD
site, and turned up here:

<
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ath&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-current

It seems to indicate that the Atheros Chipset in the DWL-G520 is supported
by FreeBSD, however it would also seem that the Kernel has to be rewritten
(?), in order to accomodate the driver.

I have come from a non-unix (but also non-MS) operating system, and am not
sure if I have "put the cart before the horse". :-) Does support in FreeBSD
also means support in PC-BSD? If so, is the Driver(s) already present in
PC-BSD? If so, could it be installed without anything really drastic like a
Kernel re-write? If not, how would I go about politely requesting that it be
put on the todo list for your next OS revision? If this is uncharted
territory, please let me know. Maybe there's something I can do.

I look forward to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Regards

NICK