[PC-BSD Support] PC-BSD on HP Compaq 6720s

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:29:08 PST 2007

Hi,

I downloaded PC-BSD 1.4 and had a successful install on an HP Compaw
6720s laptop. Apart from the lack of wide-screen for KDE, i dont seem
to have network functionality at all. I also do not have the wireless
card detected, i dont see it in the dmesg entries nor in the log
files. My network card is present, em0, but cannot connect to the
network.

I have statically assigned the IP addresses on it, but to no avail,
dhclient em0 returns 'No DHCPOFFERS received. No working leases in
persistent database - sleeping'. I have ruled out my DHCP server since
all other connections to it are working fine, FreeBSD 6.2 stable works
well without any problems and so does linux (Xandros 3.0.2).

While trying to obtain an IP address, tcpdump reports this:

IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from
00:1a:4b:73:d5:98 (oui Unknown), length: 300

Is there something broken in this release, any fixes for it? Any
assistance in getting this working is appreciated.

Regards,

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.