[PC-BSD Public] amd64 and Skype

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat May 3 09:20:20 PDT 2014

On Sat, 3 May 2014, Nataraj S Narayan wrote:

> Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 19:17:07
> From: Nataraj S Narayan <natarajsn at gmail.com>
> To: public at lists.pcbsd.org
> Subject: [PC-BSD Public] amd64 and Skype
>
> Hi
>
> Does 10.0-Release (Joule) on 64 bit install support running Skype, which I
> presume to be 32 bit?
>

> regards
>
> Nataraj

Hello.

I run Skype 2.2 (beta) for Linux on Debian Linux 6.x amd64, and I
believe that I have not had any problems, so I do not think that an OS
for amd64 is an issue for running Skype, which I think is now at v 4.x.

I think it is more an issue of whether Skype can be installed on PC-BSD
10.x, reasonably easily.

The current version of Skype, as Skype was taken over by Microsoft, is
now, I believe, not available as an easily installable package for
non-Microsoft operating systems, such as UNIX-like systems.

I think that it now comes as a .tar.gz file that needs to be unpacked
for UNIX-like systems, but, I may be wrong.

I use the term here, of "UNIX-like systems", to include the various
versions of UNIX, and, Linux, and similar systems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."