[PC-BSD Public] Laptop for PCBSD

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 05:58:18 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Have any of you guys any experience with Lenovo T540p? I see the T530
that is listed on PCBSD store and T540p are both T5xx series but have
quite a different spec, and I'm not sure whether PCBSD would work right
on T540p? I'm asking this because T530 appears to be no longer available
on the market here in my country. But the main reason why I am not
opting for T530 is that I am a biological scientist and need to enter a
lot of numerical data, and unfortunately T530 does not have numerical
keypad which will make my work a lot harder and inefficient.

Josh from PCBSD Store told me that he "doesn't personally have any
experience with the T540 laptop and there's precious little information
on it's compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD," and that he "doubts much
has changed chipset wise since it's in the same series as T520's and
T530's which have great results including a handful at IX Systems".
However since he (or someone else) doesn't have experience with T540p
this is quite a gamble to me (T540p is quite expensive).

So what I would like to know is do any one here have any experience with
T540? Or if I list up the specification for both T530 and T540 that are
obtained from Lenovo website, will it be possible for you to evaluate
the compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD from the two models' difference?

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Sam