[PC-BSD Public] Laptop for PCBSD

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 20:36:17 PDT 2014

Hi Kris and all other that have replied to my question,

Thanks everyone for sharing their opinions/experience on the laptops for
PCBSD.

The reason why I thought I would go with T540p rather than T530 (or
other older models) was mainly because T540p is a relatively new model
and most importantly T540p has a numeric keypad. However as I myself and
many of you have been concerned there are quite a few uncertainty namely
the compatibility (particularly the graphics/bios/optimus etc), I think
for now my safest option would be go get a T530 from eBay rather than a
T540p as T series are quite costly and I really don't want to spend the
money for T540p and found that it being unsatisfactory for my use. As
for numeric keypad a workaround would be using an external usb/wireless
numeric keypad with T530 (I should have thought of that...).

Would any usb and/or wireless numeric keypad compatible with PCBSD? Or
is there anything I need to be aware of regarding using numeric keypad
on PCBSD?

Also this is just out of my interest. I believe those of you who do a
lot of programming/system development etc need to type a lot of numbers,
and it's hard for me to believe that the row of numeric keys on top of
your keyboard would be efficient/sufficient for you to type numbers. So
if you use PCBSD laptop do you also use numeric keypad or just use the
row of numeric keys to type numbers?  If you do use external/additional
numeric keypad do you have any recommended brand/model? Any why (e.g.
angle, finger motion, etc)

Regards,
Sam