[PC-BSD Public] Laptop for PCBSD

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Thu Apr 3 22:45:31 PDT 2014

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 01:58:18 +1300
Sam Lin <semin2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have any of you guys any experience with Lenovo T540p? I see the T530
> that is listed on PCBSD store and T540p are both T5xx series but have
> quite a different spec, and I'm not sure whether PCBSD would work
> right on T540p? I'm asking this because T530 appears to be no longer
> available on the market here in my country. But the main reason why I
> am not opting for T530 is that I am a biological scientist and need
> to enter a lot of numerical data, and unfortunately T530 does not
> have numerical keypad which will make my work a lot harder and
> inefficient.
>
> Josh from PCBSD Store told me that he "doesn't personally have any
> experience with the T540 laptop and there's precious little
> information on it's compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD," and that he
> "doubts much has changed chipset wise since it's in the same series
> as T520's and T530's which have great results including a handful at
> IX Systems". However since he (or someone else) doesn't have
> experience with T540p this is quite a gamble to me (T540p is quite
> expensive).
>
> So what I would like to know is do any one here have any experience
> with T540? Or if I list up the specification for both T530 and T540
> that are obtained from Lenovo website, will it be possible for you to
> evaluate the compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD from the two models'
> difference?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Sam

I have a T440p here with Optimus switchable graphics (Intel Haswell
and Nvidia).

I have not got the nvidia driver to work and and Intel Haswell is as
of my knowledge unsupported , but WIP, so I am running X11 in vesa
mode, which I am kind of unhappy with at the moment, as I cannot
operate two external monitors.

The rest works fine.

Cheers,
--
Christopher

TZ:         GMT + 1h
GnuPG/GPG:  0xE8DE2C14

FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r262291+cf0fa48(stable/10): Sat Feb 22 02:01:26
CET 2014 cjr at dijkstra.hb22.cruwe.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Punctuation matters:
"Lets eat Grandma or Lets eat, Grandma" - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves" or "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves" -
Punctuation teaches proper biology.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead." (RFC 1925)