[PC-BSD Public] Laptop for PCBSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Apr 3 12:42:02 PDT 2014

On 03/28/2014 08:58, Sam Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have any of you guys any experience with Lenovo T540p? I see the T530
> that is listed on PCBSD store and T540p are both T5xx series but have
> quite a different spec, and I'm not sure whether PCBSD would work
> right on T540p? I'm asking this because T530 appears to be no longer
> available on the market here in my country. But the main reason why I
> am not opting for T530 is that I am a biological scientist and need to
> enter a lot of numerical data, and unfortunately T530 does not have
> numerical keypad which will make my work a lot harder and inefficient.
>
> Josh from PCBSD Store told me that he "doesn't personally have any
> experience with the T540 laptop and there's precious little
> information on it's compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD," and that he
> "doubts much has changed chipset wise since it's in the same series as
> T520's and T530's which have great results including a handful at IX
> Systems". However since he (or someone else) doesn't have experience
> with T540p this is quite a gamble to me (T540p is quite expensive).
>
> So what I would like to know is do any one here have any experience
> with T540? Or if I list up the specification for both T530 and T540
> that are obtained from Lenovo website, will it be possible for you to
> evaluate the compatibility with FreeBSD / PC-BSD from the two models'
> difference?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Sam

Sam,

I have a T520, and I know of those with T530's. The T540 looks similar,
but it doesn't look like it includes an nvidia card, which I use in
discrete mode here. The integrated intel chipset "should" work, but you
know how that goes. However the track records with Lenovos have been
good so far, so it does have that going in its favor :)