[PC-BSD Public] help - UEFI bios seems to prevent install of either PCBSD 9.1 or 9.2

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 21:14:26 PST 2013

On 23/11/2013, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 12:41, Eric Otto wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have an HP Envy DV6 7373ca (born on date: 02/13/2013) that
>> originally had Windows 8 on it. I wiped the 1 Tb hhd (almost 6 days to
>> wipe using the 35 pass Guttman method, DBAN), enabled Legacy support
>> in the bios and put the dvd at the top of the boot order.
>>
>> PCBSD 9.1 started to install normally, a bunch of lines scrolled past,
>> then I got a blank, black screen and nothing further happened.
>>
>> PCBSD 9.2 displayed the graphical install screen, but installing gave
>> a blank, black window and nothing further happened.
>>
>> HP support won't talk to me unless I have a Windows 8 problem.
>>
>> Is there any way to get PCBSD to install on this laptop? It would be
>> really sad if I buy the hardware but only Microsoft owns it.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Eric

> You should probably try the 10.x development version of PC-BSD[1]. I
> think I remember hearing that the UEFI support was finally available in
> FreeBSD 10.0, but I can't be sure about that.
>
> [1] http://iso.cdn.pcbsd.org/10-STABLE/amd64/
>
> --
> ~~ Ken Moore ~~
> PC-BSD/iXsystems

Hello.

So, two things --

1. It is probably worth also being subscribed to the PC-BSD support
mailing list, and

2. It seems that version 10 of PC-BSD, will be the one to first allow
installation on a UEFI/GPT system, rather than a BIOS/FAT/MBR system.

Oh, and I believe that UEFI and BIOS are mutually exclusive - I
believe that UEFI superseded BIOS, and GPT superseded FAT, but, others
more knowledgeable can advise about that

See below.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale