[PC-BSD Public] Query about PC-BSD 9 release date

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jun 2 22:25:37 PDT 2011

Hello.

I want to install PC-BSD on a couple of my computers.

I am a Linux user of some years, and accustomed to using GNOME as the
windows manager.

I have not, from memory, used any UNIX version - BSD or SCO, or
otherwise, with a GUI (it is a couple of decades or so, since I have
used UNIX, and what I used, was all text-based, as was DEC RSTS/e,
VAX-VMS, and AIX). I think, from memory, the GUI that was to become
available for UNIX, at that time, was Mozaic, but I have a memory of
something to do with ncurses, but my memory of that, is not good, and
it may have just been about shifting a text cursor around a screen. It
is so long ago, now.

>From what I understand, the current stable version of PC-BSD, is version
8.2, which, I understand, uses KDE as its windows manager.

Whilst I use some KDE applications, such as kftpgrabber and konqueror
(as a web browser for some web sites), I run them from GNOME.

I understand that PC-BSD will have GNOME as a fully functional windows
manager, as a windows manager that may be selected at the installation
time, for the default windows manager.

I have read that PC-BSD 9 is, or, has been, intended to be released as
the current stable version, in about June or July of this year, thus,
this month or next.

Thus, I am wondering what is the status of PC-BSD 9, in terms of the
current expected release date.

I am not sure whether I should thus, download and install PC-BSD 8.2,
which I understand to the the current stable version, which has, as I
understand, KDE as the windows manager, or, whether I should wait for
PC-BSD 9, for downloading and installation, so that I can have the ease
of use, and functionality of GNOME, which I inderstand to be less
demanding of resources, than KDE.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby