[PC-BSD Public] UFS+SUJ or ZFS? (9.0)

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sun Jan 23 12:54:09 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 09:41:09PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:38:09 +0100
> Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
>
> > 8GB RAM and 1 TB Hard Disks sounds like a perfect candidate for
> > ZFS. :)
>
> Am I right assuming that in order to have mirror (raid-1) by using ZFS,
> there is no another layer required like in Linux with e.g. ext4?

That's right. You create a zpool from your two disks with "zpool create
mypool ad0 ad1" and a ZFS filesystem is created and mounted
automatically.
If you need more filesystems, you can create them with "zfs create
mypool/myfs".
I suggest that you take a look at the very informative manpages of zfs
and zpool.
Or just let PCBSD do the right thing(TM) for you. ;-)