[PC-BSD Public] Building a new computer

Ralph Ellis ralphellis1 at netscape.ca
Sun Oct 31 17:16:33 PDT 2010

Christian Baer wrote:
> Hey there peeps! :-)
>
> After a few years with my old machine, I've decided that it's time for a
> new one now, which will be my work and play station. I intend to buy and
> build it some time next month (November). I am hoping to get a few ideas
> from you guys about what hardware would be a good idea.
>
> As you can imagine, I plan to use PC-BSD on this machine. I have used
> FreeBSD for more than 10 years now, just never for desktop purposes. It
> worked for me for about a year with X installed with the ports. Keeping
> the system up to date and running functionally at the same time is just
> a pain, though. It was fun to set up, no question about that, just like
> Slackware was fun. But once the setting up isn't your primary work, too
> much maintenance gets in your way. PC-BSD is pretty much what I have
> been looking for all these years. Now I want to set up my first machine,
> optimised for PC-BSD.
>
> I'll just go through the components where I'd like a little feed-back -
> also considering the usage and price. What I am going for is the best
> possible support for PC-BSD.
>
> Usage/price
> My machine will be used for just about anything where a computer is
> useful - and a few things beside that. :-) Most of my time I spend
> working at my computer. I do a lot of writing (mostly TeX) and some
> programming. Currently I am looking into Ruby. I also like to play a
> bit. Usually I am a fan of strategy games (Warcraft 3, Starscraft 2
> etc.) but I also enjoy 1st person shooters from time to time - if they
> have a story that keeps me interested. Basicly, any dumb computer can do
> the first things I wrote down, so I have to adapt my computer hardware
> for gaming. I don't intend to make a real gaming computer here since I
> rarely spend more that 4 hours on computer games a week.
> In terms of pricing, I was thinking of something between 1000 and 1500
> Euros.
>
> CPU
> I am 99% sure, I will get an AMD CPU, something like a 1075T or 1090T. I
> use disc-encryption, so the additional cores actually do something for
> me. A similar CPU from Intel costs about four times as much and somehow,
> I cannot get myself to pay 800 Euros just for the CPU. Or have I missed
> something here? Does it make a diff to FreeBSD if I use an Intel or AMD CPU?
>
> Mainboard (Mobo)
> The CPU kinda narrows the choices down a bit. Any suggestions for a
> chipset? Is there some Mobo out there with evil components that are not
> supported?
>
> Graphics card
> On my current machine, X just sucks because of my graphics card (AMD
> X1950). The missing 3D acceleration (which also means no Compiz) isn't
> pretty, but when surfing the web or scrolling around in the browser or
> other viewers is sluggish, it just stinks. So this time I want some
> [...]
Both of my computers are from Gateway and I have found that everything
in them was supported in PC-BSD. If you don't buy absolute cutting edge,
BSD will normally support everything in a typical desktop computer. If
you are not sure. take a PC-BSD disk with you to your friendly computer
store and ask them to allow you to boot it up in live mode.
That should help.
Good luck
Ralph Ellis