[PC-BSD Public] pbiDir Question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 7 07:00:01 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 09:17:55AM -0500, John Davis wrote:
> Do you think that there would be a store that would allow software creators
> to promote their applications and possibly sell them or ask for donations
> through pbiDir?
>
> This comes from my background in Ubuntu in the past as they are heading down
> the same road, but can also be paralleled to iTunes/Mac App store, Android
> store, etc. I am not promoting becoming commercial, just trying to help
> developers make some money and hopefully draw more developers in by making
> money.
>
> What does everyone think about it?
>
> --
>
> [image: John R Davis Jr]

That is a cool idea, and maybe something we can do at some point down the road. At the moment I don't
think we have the framework / manpower to implement a paid part of the store. As the newer PBI format
for 9 stabilizes that may be something we re-evaluate though. With 9 having the ability to setup your
own "repo" of PBIs, and manage updates / signing of them, it may be feasible for stores to pop-up which
offer commercial software at a premium. We'll have to wait and see how that shakes out.