[PC-BSD Public] basic questions

Terry Poulin bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:27:39 PST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 23:21, Paul Cartwright <paul at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> hello,
> I just joined this group, after I installed PCBSd 7.1.1 on my 3 year-old Dell
> laptop.
> my desktop is Debian linux, but I'm used to using gnome desktop.
> I screwed up my desktop a little, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I removed
> the application launcher ( the little red flame thingie), and when I added it
> back, it showed up way over on the far right-hand side of the system tray.
> I'd rather it be back on the left, but I can't fiure out how to move it.
>
> when I had linux installed on the laptop I could suspend/hibernate linux, but
> I don't see that option from the menus. Is it available?
>
> I see Freebsd 8.0 is out, but I don't see any info on the PCBSD site about
> beta releases/ISOs... but there is a testing group, so I assume there will be
> a new version related to Freebsd 8.0 sometime? maybe?
>
> I already setup Kontact, pulled in my addressbook from my desktop, and even
> added my RSS feeds.. I like the newer Kontact!

You might find #kde on irc.freenode.net a good place for KDE stuffs,
certainly much faster then this list or the PC-BSD forums. (Tip:
Konversation is better then Kopete for IRC.)

Hibernate/suspend is an issue that will vary a fair bit between
laptops. Support for ACPI and APM are not always what they are cracked
up to be.

The next big release for PC-BSD will be based on FreeBSD 8, I believe
Kris already started work months ago. There ought to be messages on
testing@ when ISOs are available. Bare in mind, there is no supported
upgrade path between such snapshots and a PC-BSD release.

Haven't used Kontact since KDE 3.5.4 or so, but it's always been a
darn find setup!

TerryP.
--

       [SAS]_Spidey01