[PC-BSD Public] Audio problem

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Sun May 17 02:38:54 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I've got a severe audio problem on our PC-BSD laptop. Flashplayer works
fine (e.g. on www.spiegel.de), but a simple .rm stream
(e.g. on http://sites.radiofrance.fr/franceinter/ev/fiche.php?ev_id=746)
does not work at all: blank screen and "Done", that's all.
Don't know when and how it happened, or whether this worked in the
beginning. The box is used by my spouse.
To be complete I should add that youtube videos do not play anymore.
(Blank screen and "Done") They *did* work in the beginning. Strange.

System and all PBI programmes are up to date, especially Firefox3.0.10 and
vlc0.9.9a.
'about:plugins' shows all required plugins.
Installing lsof does not work because kernel sources are missing.
Installing kernel sources with sysinstall does not work because
apparently they do not exist anymore which I could understand because:

clo at orion:~ > uname -a
FreeBSD orion.local.net 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
Nov 24 20:22:16 EST 2008
root at pcbsdx32-7:/usr/obj/pcbsd-build/cvs/7.0.2-src/sys/PCBSD  i386

Why is this not updated with a system update ?
What can I do to find out what is wrong ?
By the way, the mixer control is working alright with the desktop tool
or with rexima.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Harald