[PC-BSD Public] pcbsd and qemu

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:50:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> Rance,
>
> Have you tried PC-BSD 7.x with the QEmu PBI we offer here:
>
> http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/77/qemu
>
> This PBI works with the kqemu kernel module / accel just fine on my desktop,
> and the network access seems to be functioning fine as well.
>
> As for the direct net access, I've not played too much with it, besides
> surfing the net in a qemu session :)
>
> Can you grab this PBI and confirm that at least the acceleration is working
> properly, and then try to setup tftp in it?
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

No I havent, and in fact I havent even installed pcbsd yet, but that
will change soon I hope.

as to the qemu question, the docs seem to suggest that this requires
creating a "bridge" nic with a "tap" interface and then telling qemu
to use the tap

based on the freebsd docs I read, this has two problems, one, a
non-root user can not start the tap interface, but should so that qemu
is not running as root.

and 2) This process should not interfere with the hosts ethernet
access but seems to.